Croissant Croissant

Bakery: Croissant Croissant 
Address: 2270 Mont-Royal Ave E, Montreal QC
Website: facebook
Style: French 
Price: $$ 

I was sure I'd already covered all the bakeries I needed to cover until I crossed the street and there was Croissant Croissant, a quaint, slightly quirky cafe with an old world vibe that also happens to bake their own small selection of baked goods. Yes, in some ways, despite the name, Croissant Croissant doesn't really qualify as a bakery as they don't bake bread and they don't really make any sort of cakes either for it to count as a patisserie, but what they do make is their croissants and other French dough-based goodies. The appellation "cafe & viennoiserie" is indeed quite apt.

Among their limited selection were several unique varieties of croissants - without a doubt their signature item - along with classic French bakery staples and a few slightly more inventive pastries. Croffins, anyone?
Having never seen one before, I grabbed an orangine ($2.80). Identical to the chocolatine situated right next to it except for the orange sprinkled along the top, I'll confess that I was expecting a lot more orange and a lot less chocolate. Do you remember Terry's chocolate oranges? Those ball-shaped chocolates that you smash to form "slices"? Essentially, it was a Terry's chocolatine. Perhaps it was my bad for not asking beforehand, but logically, a chocolatine contains chocolate, an abricotine contains apricot and an orangine... orange, right? For someone thinking it was an orange pastry, not a chocolate pastry, it was a bit of a disappointment. Dough was fantastic, though, flaky and flavourful with that unmistakable crunch. I just wasn't planning on chocolate that day.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment