Boulangerie Patisserie Wellington

Bakery: Boulangerie Patisserie Wellington 
Address: 3990 Rue Wellington, Verdun QC 
Website: n/a 
Style: French, Algerian 
Price: $-$$ 

Along Verdun's main street, there are quite a few bakeries among the other commercial businesses. Boulangerie/Patisserie Wellington is one of them and while it may not exactly have a very creative name, it has the distinction of having, in addition to baskets filled with classic French baked goods and quite a few full-sized and individual cakes, an impressive array of, I believe, Algerian or at least North African/Middle Eastern pastries including several types of baklava along with more unusual sugar syrup-soaked sweets that have been elaborately twisted, folded and piped to form a wide variety of pretty shapes.
The fried dough clusters ($1.50) definitely had to be tried... except if I knew they'd be so cheap, I would have bought more than just one. I only realized once I'd left how little I paid! According to personal research, these are known as "griwech" and consist of several strips of airy dough that have been fried and lightly coated in an orange water-scented syrup and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Unlike their cousins jalebi/zalabia, these were lighter and less sweet, less candy-like; I did like that texture. Very good and a nice discovery on my tour of Verdun!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment