Sweet Bakery

Bakery: Sweet Bakery & Coffee House
Address: 2445 Broad St, Regina SK
Website: http://www.sweetbakeryandcoffeehouseregina.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$$$ 

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country! Here are the results.

Rounding out my Saskatchewan tour this time around is Sweet Bakery. Well, I suppose I forgot to do this chronologically and had to go back, but nevertheless, I spent one night in Regina and thought it a travesty if I didn't have any Cake Tours from the city. This proved more difficult than you'd think. There really aren't that many bakeries for a city of Regina's size and they seem scattered about; none, suffice to say, were really on the way. Except, that is, for Sweet Bakery, which was located a few blocks away from where I was staying and it was more or less on the way back to the highway.
Despite the name online, it's known as Sweet Coffee on location and that is certainly more appropriate. It really isn't in any way a proper bakery in the sense that the focus is the drinks and prepared light meals or sweets to accompany those drinks. They really don't have that much in terms of selection; no bread, that's for sure, and baked goods are more or less variants of the same item (cookies, cheesecake, and coffee cake). Moreover, these baked goods were expensive! I simply did not think anything was worth the price.

I confess I was ready to walk out when the idea of not doing a bakery in Regina loomed darkly over my head and I caved, going for the cheapest item: a cookie. I picked the ginger cookie ($2.55). I love ginger cookies; I could eat them all day, every day. People often get them wrong, yes, and I don't often stumble upon a good chewy, gingery cookie. Most of the time, they're too sandy, even though they have enough of that ginger zing. These, on the other hand, were brittle and hard. The size and thickness made them nearly impossible to break or bite apart and they didn't smell like ginger, nor taste like it. I hardly ever get nasty on my reviews, even when I don't particularly like it, but I was really... unsatisfied and disappointed with this place.

Rating: *

No comments:

Post a Comment