Stella's Bakery

Bakery: Stella's Bakery
Address: 110 Sherbrook St, Winnipeg MB (+ other locations)
Website: http://stellas.ca/
Style: European, Canadian
Price: $$

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country! Here are the results.

Day 3 brought me to Winnipeg, where there was already one bakery reviewed. Actually, having done research for the previous tour, I remember Stella's so vividly I was at first sure I'd already reviewed it. Turns out I hadn't. So it's to Stella's I went!

Stella's is without a doubt the bakery in Winnipeg. With about a half dozen locations throughout the city, you don't have to go far until you spot another Stella's; I think I passed three... Anyways, one of more popular locations (perhaps even the "main" one) is the Sherbrook one. Going in, I was a little surprised that much of what they sold was savoury. Quiche and croissants with gourmet cheeses and veggies; not quite as many sweet baked goods as I would have liked. I also thought that the savoury goods had more "fancy" flavours and fillings than the sweet, but well, I did manage to pick out something. ^.^
That was the cranberry crumble ($3.00) Similar to a classic date square, this had a nice, slightly tart fruit filling with a chewy dough loaded with oats. Add to that a topping of slivered almonds and icing which took a classic, homestyle goody to another level. My favourite in Winnipeg and one of the bakery highlights of the day.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment