Grenfell Bakery & Coffee

Bakery: Grenfell Bakery & Coffee 
Address: 810 Desmond St, Grenfell SK
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price:

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country! Here are the results.

Fresh from a disappointment in the form of a small-town bakery having just (permanently) shut down, I took the risk of turning into the town of Grenfell. Gas needed to be bought along the highway, but a little detour wouldn't hurt and turns out it was a productive one after all. There was a bakery! :)
Grenfell Bakery was indeed open, though it being later (not too late, however) in the afternoon, the first thing that I noticed was that the bakery itself was mostly empty and the one customer there was waiting for pizza. Yes, the focus does seem to be the pizza, and I'm not quite sure what this place features in terms of sweets besides the last two doughnuts I bought. The somewhat harsh service didn't make me want to inquire....

However, I could not pass up an unexpected bakery, so I did take the last two doughnuts ($1.25 each) on the tray, this being the chocolate glaze variety. Biting into it, I got a nice, fluffy yeast doughnut that was undeniably fresh (despite being the last thing in store) coated in a perfectly thick, set-yet-soft chocolate glaze. A simple doughnut, yes, but just as it should be. Lousy doughnut chains, take note! ;)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment