Kooyman Bakery

Bakery: Kooyman Bakery 
Address: 514 51 Ave, Coalhurst AB
Website: facebook
Style: Dutch, Canadian 
Price: $

Just outside of Lethbridge, there is the small town of Coalhurst, and in that town is a Dutch bakery -- the only Dutch bakery I managed to nab on this particular Cake Trip. Yes, I had quite a few lined up here and there and I was ready to take them on, one apple fritter at a time. :P But I was either at the wrong place at the wrong time. Nothing worked out. Until Kooyman, that is.
Kooyman has a fairly large selection for its size, but of the baked goods they do have (the majority being bread and savoury items) I was a tad disappointed that they didn't really have many Dutch mainstays, though there were packs of botterkoek and slices of Dutch apple cake, so I shouldn't complain too much. :P Beyond that, it was a nice selection of classic, small-town baked goods with cinnamon buns being perhaps the most prominent.
Someone had been just talking about Dutch apple cake ($1.95) and the desire to eat some a few days ago, so spotting this one, I couldn't resist. Chunks of apple folded into a slightly moist, slightly dough and then topped with a glaze. Maybe, I confess, my mom's is still the best, and I realize it would have been much better warmed up a bit (it was eaten in the car a few hours later), but it was still very good.
The other item I got was the apple fritter ($1.25). Unlike most apple fritters, this proved to be more like a jelly doughnut, with the jam-like apple filling stuffed in the middle of a denser cinnamon-spiced dough and glazed only one side. Nice taste of cinnamon throughout. This was certainly a different take and quite good, though I think there was too much filling, especially towards the middle where there was more filling than dough. Never really like when that happens.

Nonetheless, I did finally get my Dutch bakery fix and it was a satisfying one!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment