Richmond Hill Deli

Bakery: Richmond Hill Deli
Address: 9631 Yonge St, Richmond Hill ON
Website: http://richmondhillbakery.ca/
Style: Russian, Eastern European 
Price: $$ 

A whole tin of mini poppy seed buns! ^^
Having found the address to this bakery/deli online and walking there from the H Mart plaza instead of repositioning the car, it never once dawned on me that the deli and bakery under the same name (and website) were actually two separate stores. Having purchased my baked goods in the deli (the first coming in from Yonge), I only realized once going to their website and  wondering why I didn't spot any cakes while there that the cafe/bakery is located seven units down. *massive forehead smack* Arrrgggh! Opportunity lost. Well, for now. :P While I'm at it, though, I can just go ahead and review the deli and either incorporate the bakery into this post in the future or devote another post to the bakery proper; I suppose it all depends on how similar/different the two happen to be. In the meantime, I am such an idiot, especially since I DID look through the website prior to visiting. So, a review of the deli it is.

Richmond Hill Deli is a well-stocked Russian deli and, as is the case with all Eastern European delis, although the majority is dedicated to cold cuts, prepared foods, and imported grocery items, there are baked goods scattered here and there. Some are located right in the front; others, such as pre-packed poppy seed and walnut buns are located on top of the cold cut counters. The selection isn't too large or elaborate (i.e. none of the cakes featured on the website -__-), BUT they do have plenty of poppy seed options and this is always a plus. How I love Russian-style poppy seed baked goods (sorry Poland)! :P

Mmm... so good!
My choices were between the buns and the larger coffee cakes. The latter also had the choice between plain poppy seed and poppy seed with walnut. Now, normally, I would jump at the plain poppy seed one, but the walnut variation (around $7.50) looked so enticing and more complex. A great choice. Loaded with poppy seed and chunks of walnut with just the right amount of delicious dough. Add a bit of glaze on top -- yummy!

I [heart]ed this too! :3
The second thing was a two-pack of these sweet pretzel-shaped buns ($2 for a pair); they were just plain dough, but something intrigued me and I felt like giving them a try. Super soft and fresh dough, slightly but not too sweet and a great snack that could be eaten for breakfast, tea time, or whenever. It reminded me most of Chinese sweet buns... except better. ^^ I'd definitely take both again!

Well, it's not quite the bakery just yet, but I'm not at all disappointed with my trip the deli portion of the Richmond Hill empire. :D Can't wait to see how the actual bakery fares!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment