Megan's Preserves and Treats






Bakery: Megan's Preserves and Treats
Address: @ St. John's Farmers Market (Lions Club), St. John's NL 
Website: n/a 
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$

Note: Not having made a note of who I bought this from, I only noticed too late that the label on the product with the ingredients also didn't mention it. As such, I really don't know if I picked the right vendor from the list on the Farmer's Market website. I know for certain it's not Stella's Kitchen, the major baked good supplier (and which I had to give up after two other bakeries), but I recall it also being a woman's name... and this is the only other on the list. Please let me know if I made a mistake and I'll fix it immediately. :)

Did I ever mention I love gingerbread?
Anyways, during my visit to the Farmer's Market, I was initially debating between this stand (which had a whopping two items left -- a loaf of gingerbread cake and a 6-pack of orange squares, besides some cookies baked with stevia) and the aforementioned Stella's, which had a lot more variety but I didn't want anything chocolatey (and I don't like banana bread ;P) or felt like buying a whole bag of scones. Remembering with great fondness the previous day's delectable spice cake, I somehow wound up returning to the gingerbread cake ($5), expecting great things. And I was not disappointed. Made with good ingredients like apple sauce and molasses, this was soft, super moist and perfectly spiced, just like I like them. Perhaps it didn't have that wow factor of a date and rum cake, but I can't remember the last time I had such a tasty gingerbread cake, regardless of the style.

I can indeed conclude at the end of my tour that St. John's makes a mean spice cake. Oh yeah.... *-*

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment