Jacobs Lefse Bakari [International Correspondent]

Bakery: Jacobs Lefse Bakari
Address: 221 Central Ave, Osakis MN
Website: http://www.gotlefse.com
Style: Norwegian
Price: $$ 

We pulled over to use the bathroom or have lunch on our drive from Madison WI (where we spent the first night on our road trip) to Winnipeg and we randomly came across a Norwegian bakery. I'm not really a bakery fanatic [editor's note: *glare*]  myself, but even I was amazed at finding a Norwegian bakery at all, let alone in the middle of Minnesota. Although we weren't given any real guidelines about finding bakeries in the 1.5 days we spent driving through the US, we still thought this would make a great cake tour, both due to its location and style.

Almond loaf cake was soft and fairly good
I suppose that the main item at Jacobs is the lefse: flat, crepe-like pancakes. I already had some when I was in Norway several years ago (on the train from Bergen to Oslo, in fact) and thought them nothing really special. [editor's note: no matter where they go, they just can't be trusted! AND then they go ahead and photograph the thing on a paper towel!?! ;___;] Just crepes served with jam. And here you just buy the pancakes (without jam or cream), I think, and so I decided not to get them, but instead picked the almond cake ($5.00). The cake was a loaf-style almond cake with marzipan and coated with almonds and powdered sugar. It was soft and moist, but not the greatest ingredients list (especially disappointing for what looks like a small enterprise). It was good, but nothing special. I suppose the fact that it's Norwegian is the most remarkable and unbelievable of all.

Rating: **1/2  

No comments:

Post a Comment