Gateau [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Gateau 
Address: Basement of Centralstation/T-Centralen, Stockholm
Website: http://www.gateau.se/
Style: Swedish 
Price: $$

I wasn't exactly planning on this visit on the tour, but I had a bit of time to spare before taking the train (biggest, biggest ripoff ever! And I'm not even talking about the express train. I really didn't like Stockholm. -_-) to the airport, and so I popped into this place, which I had seen a couple of times while at Central station.

Despite the French name, Gateau is a purely Swedish place and also -- so I found out from their website -- touting a stone oven. While they might not get more French than the basket of croissants, they do have cake. :) At this location, they're locked away in a wall of glass -- it's very impressive! Lovely marzipan-topped torts and strawberry cakes.... Behind the normal counter, there was also an impressive selection of "rustic" baked goods and breads, one of the more drool-inspiring displays I'd seen in Stockholm. Prices weren't exactly cheap, but well-priced, especially for the location; it is easy and convenient to just pop in on your way to well, anywhere.  :P

Knowing that I wouldn't get one any time soon, I concluded (well, somewhat, as I purchased something at the airport as well with the remainder of my kronar) my Swedish Cake Tour with... a cinnamon bun! (22kr) After all, I love Swedish cinnamon buns, even if I didn't encounter that many amazing ones, but Gateau seemed to take some pity on me... even when SL didn't. *rolls eyes* The cinnamon bun was indeed a tasty one! Perhaps not as freshly baked as I had hoped, but great texture, plenty of cinnamon rolled into the various layers and a nice sprinkling of rock sugar. I'm not sure if it was necessarily knock your socks off amazing, and I don't recall it being buttery (as it should be), but it was nonetheless a pleasant farewell.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment