Cafe Kvosin [Mimi's World Tour] [RIP]

Bakery: Cafe Kvosin
Address: Aðalstræti 6, Reykjavik 
Website: n/a 
Style: Icelandic 
Price: $-$$ 

As you may see, my World Tour for this year will soon come to a close. :( I have one more Swedish destination (the airport), but as it's not a real bakery, I can wait with that. I'd rather run away to Iceland... which can be said in any circumstances. Help me live in Iceland!!! ;__; 

Erm, in the meantime, we have Cafe Kvosin. Located in the heart of Reykjavik, it's quite easy to find and chances are, if you've walked around for a few minutes, you'll find it. ;) I noticed this place in previous years but never went, simply because I was saving it for another time (because, of course, I will always return to Reykjavik ^^) -- as it was a Sunday and the Sunday preceding the holiday weekend, the one new bakery I had seen in Vesturbær, where I was staying this time around, was closed. So I came here. Cafe Kvosin is more an eat-in bakery than an actual cafe, with the inside housing a few tables amid racks of souvenirs -- the outside had a few tables as well (with some very cold Australians XD) The bakery isn't so extensive, but features all the Icelandic classics: kleina, cinnamon buns with chocolate and pink icing, etc. No longer in Sweden (lol), I caved and went for the square... and paid less than anything bought in Sweden. I love you, Iceland. ;) 

Although the worker had a bit of trouble explaining what it was, I took this piece nevertheless (300kr) and found out afterwards -- on the plane, actually -- that this is a Hjónabandssæla, "wedded bliss cake", a crumbly square cake made of oats and whole grain flour(s) and filled with prune, rhubarb or berry jam, depending on the version. It looks simple and looks like it would taste like a cobbler or granola bar, but I really can't believe how much I enjoyed this! The dough itself wasn't as crumbly and crunchy as I had expected; in fast, it was perfectly chewy, with the right amount of homemade fruit filling. Mmm... definitely worth popping into! 

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment