Fabrique Stenugnsbageri [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Fabrique Stenugnsbageri 
Address: Rosenlundsgatan 28, Stockholm
Website: http://www.fabrique.se/
Style: Swedish 
Price: $$$ 

Sadly, it was inevitable; I had to return to Stockholm eventually. I would have liked to stay north the whole time, but at least the weather pitied me -- it was pouring rain every day I was there. Nevertheless, staying in the opposite end of the city as last time allowed me to stop in a bunch of different places, Södermalm being one of them. Actually, I came upon Fabrique, a small-ish chain of stone oven bakeries in Stockholm, entirely by accident -- I was given the address of another bakery as a recommendation and either didn't manage to find it (forgot to make a note of the address, for one -_-) or it no longer existed. I'm going with the former. It was rather late in the afternoon (around 5pm) so I was happy I chanced upon *something*. 

Now, you hear of stone-oven pizza, but it's not often this applies to bread and, even more remarkable, baked goodies. Although they get bonus points for actually pricing everything, I found them quite expensive, though I would find other pricier places (and walk out :D). When you start converting prices, Stockholm gets depressing really fast... I still bought my cardamom bun (24kr), but all the while I was thinking 'this better be good for the price'. 

In a very rare example of good fortune, it was. Oh boy was it ever! As I was paying for mine, a mother and little boy came in and the kid cried out: 'I love their cinnamon buns!' -- this kid had a point. At last, a perfectly soft, buttery bun rolled with plenty of cardamom and just... worthy of Swedish baking, because almost every place in Stockholm -- with the exception of this place and the amazing Grillska Huset -- did not live up to my expectations. Mostly due to the lack of butter which is... unforgivable. *glares* So, whether it was the butter or if there was indeed a stone oven difference (I like to think there was), this was a delicious, memorable experience. Best cardamom bun. Without a doubt. 

I'm only disappointed that their new arrival -- smörbullar (trans. butter buns) with bourbon vanilla -- only showed up in August. Man, I can imagine how great those would be! *-*

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment