Solbrød [Mimi's World Tour]








Bakery: Solbrød
Address: Småstrandgaten 2, Bergen (in Xhibition shopping centre)
Website: http://www.solbrod.no
Style: Scandinavian, Norwegian
Price: $

I believe this is my last stop from well, last year's vacation. Yes, that's very sad and pathetic, but hey! at least I didn't take as long as I did with my Parisian ones. (and if I recall correctly, I forgot the Japanese bakery too -- utterly scandalous) Seeing as I didn't take a location shot (it was in a shopping mall -- this shot is courtesy of their website ^^;;), it took a bit of detective work to actually figure out what this place was called seeing as Google Maps didn't have a good street view of it. Nonetheless, I did it! :)

Solbrød is a bakery chain with around a dozen locations in and around Bergen. Like other bakery chains in Norway, they offer quite a few of the standard, Scandinavian favourites like cinnamon buns and other sweet goods with custard-y centres. In general, I can't quite say that I was lured in by Solbrød's offerings and, in fact, I had stepped into one the day before and hadn't found anything that I was really interested in trying. However, if you can't get me in by your selection, it'll be by the price. XD Doing the last of our shopping for our last night in Bergen at the Rema 1000 in the same shopping centre, I noticed a deal printed on the window of the bakery: these buns (they had some sort of name, I definitely don't remember now) for 110kr. Seriously, does *anything* cost 110kr in Norway? O_O It was unbelievable! How could I possibly resist the cheapest piece of food I'd come across? It was probably 50% off, which is indeed a deal.

Bringing it back to the uh, cabin (feel free to check out my travel blog for the details on that..) I kind of noticed for the first time how... not exciting this creation was, though the same bun can be found in bakeries across Norway and I came across them in Iceland and no doubt, they'll be there in Denmark and Sweden as well. Sweet yeast dough coated with an outer ring of coconut flakes and a generous dollop of custard cream in the centre, which somewhat hardened by the next morning. As to the taste, well, I can like coconut and custard in Portuguese baking, but this... I'm not quite sure who invented this, especially that squishy yellow centre and just way too much coconut with nothing really to eat it with... I guess it just wasn't my thing, so I can't say I was particularly satisfied with this place.

Perhaps, if I ever return to Bergen, I'll give it another try and certainly get something else next time. And next time, I'll try not to settle for just the great price. :/

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment