Rischart [Mimi's World Tour]








Bakery: Rischart
Address: Marienplatz 18, Munich, Germany (plus many more around the city)
Website: http://www.rischart.de
Style: German
Price: $-$$

Ahhh, it's been a while since I did a "World Tour" post, so here goes. I went back to my travels several years ago to Munich *weeps* and was surprised that I didn't chronicle my sweets purchases as much as I thought I did. On top of that, I have ZERO location shots and I can't find a street view of it, so I've had to steal them.. (I have the Merkur online won't be visiting this site XDDD I didn't have the heart to steal from individual sites) :/ There's only a few from my second and none from my first trip, so this will have to do. Oddly enough, just looking at the pic is enough to get my memory triggered as to the taste. ;D

Rischart is just everywhere important in Munich, so you're bound not to miss it: there's one in the Hauptbahnhof (central station) and another in the pedestrian zone next to the Marienplatz and another one further down the street, and yet another along the Viktualienmarkt. Yup, you can't run away from these delectable sweets and freshly baked breads. Even if you're just visiting the city, you've probably seen at least one, though you may have not bought anything (because you're dumb obviously XDDDD). Their signature is plum cake, with the plum slices stacked nicely and either covered in glaze or powdered sugar. On my first trip, I had the former, but no pics of it. It was a pain in the neck to cut into it, but well, you know I do love plum cakes, so it was worth the effort. ^-^

The last time I went (I don't want to count how many years ago because it makes me depressed; Munich is my favourite city in the world. I love it to bits... and yet, no one wants me to teach English there ;___;), I took two items on separate occasions, both, I believe, from their Hauptbahnhof (my travelogue is helping me a lot here XD). The first was their apple strudel, which I can't remember how much it cost... sorry. The prices are always reasonable though, 1 something, 3 euros tops, but yeah, I got a pretty generous slab in the traditional German style: layers of thin dough surrounding a mass of apples and raisins. Just looking at this reminds me of my verdict: the dough was super buttery. I think it was a little overwhelming; I mean, I'm happy they use butter, but it's not necessary to use so much, in my opinion. ;P It was so delicious though, and definitely better than the Austrian one I bought, just so I could say I bought an Austrian apple strudel. ^_~

The highlight was definitely what was then called the Jubiläumsartikel (anniversary item; 1,25 euro) which was being offered at a special price to celebrate Rischart being 125 years old. I thought that cute. Of course, I also found that totally amazing!! 1,25 for a beautiful, heavenly slab of... GERMAN POPPY SEED CAKE!!!!! ... Yes, can you not tell I *adore* these things; aside from poppy seed buns (Russian-style), I could eat these things all day. It's just so good: nothing more than a tiny sliver of dough, superb poppy seed mass and a little crumble and icing on top. Heaven in a cake. *-*

Rischart ended up being my fave konditorei in Munich and I definitely can't wait to return to go and try if they continue to live up to their reputation (this is, of course, a rhetorical question ;D), especially in regards to those delectable poppy seed goodies. ^^;;

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment