Der Brotkorb

Bakery: Der Brotkorb (aka The Breadbasket)
Address: 2458 Dundas St., Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: German, European
Price: $$

Yeeess, I've returned with more reviews. Sadly, all the places I've been to don't have location shots (this is usually because they're on plazas and my mom went out to buy me something and won't take any pics for me -__-), so I'll add that later.

Nevertheless, Der Brotkorb (they changed their neon sign lately and included the name "The Breadbasket", which is the English translation of the original name, but also confuses matters a bit) is pretty close to my house, but I don't ever remember there being anything there; hence, I haven't really thought of returning for cake tour purposes. Perhaps originally they were more bakery focused, but now this is mostly a lunchtime cafe serving soups and Eastern European favourites such as goulash, cabbage rolls and pierogies. That being said, their small variety of baked goods never seem very fresh. While there, my mom noted that the filling in the tarts had sagged to 50% of the height of the shell, which is a sure sign they've seen better days. But since on the constant quest for, you guessed it, poppy seed anything, I got super excited to get two things from this place.

The first was your pretty standard (German) poppy seed bun (I believe it was $1.49 -- my mom can't remember, only that she paid around $5 for both) in spiral format, but boy, aside from looking the part, this was pretty disappointing: dough was flaky, somewhat stale and had absolutely no flavour. The poppy seeds (which were maybe sitting out in the open air for too long or something) didn't help matters much: they tasted like nothing. The two together was just super bland; perhaps if they used butter in the dough, you'd get a hint of some sort of taste, but like this, I just couldn't believe how tasteless it was. I definitely prefer the same thing at Dimpflmeier's. Definitely.

The second was a slab of poppy seed strudel ($2.99) Now, after the bun, I was really concerned about this thing. If it didn't taste like poppy seed then I don't know what I'd do, but fortunately, this had a lot more taste, although it wasn't too fresh either. And there were a little too many raisins. Still, as you may see, this was jam-packed with poppy seeds and really (excluding those pesky raisins) nothing but poppy seeds. The dough was exactly the same as the bun (i.e. really bland), so didn't do anything except keep the whole thing in shape. Not bad and a whole lot more flavourful than the bun, but not the greatest either. I don't know if I'll be coming back again for the baked goods, though...

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment