Athena Bakery

Bakery: Athena Bakery
Address: 598 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON
Website: n/a
Style: Greek, Middle Eastern/Mediterranean
Price: $-$$$

While in the neighbourhood for the Danish Pastry Shop (previous post ^^), we also stopped by at this bakery in Greek Town, simply because I once had their apple pie and needed to go back in order to review it. While they advertise "European Pastries", this place is more along the lines of Mediterranean pastries with various types of baklava and other treats all smothered in honey like their custard cakes and honey doughnuts (I don't know what they're called -- sorry). In addition to traditional Greek goods, they also have a lot of more continental cookies, chocolate cakes and doughnuts. However, I was here for the Greek stuff, since when in Greek Town, you buy Greek (duh!). :)

Of course, I myself came here for the apple pie ($1.95), since I'm personally not the biggest fan of Greek baking (while, as you'll see, the other testers of the household adore it): a super generous slice of apple cake with a thick layer of apples and spices in the middle of two layers of dough, the top of which is soaked in honey, but in such a way that it's almost turned into a glaze. This honey layer with the apples is perfect, although the weather wasn't gentle to it and by the time it came it for its photo session, it had been smushed and jostled and overheated, but it was still so good, although a tad soggy because of the heat. ^^;

The other two items were purchased for my brothers. First off, I picked out one of several baklava ($1.50/each), this being with pistachio and just coated from every angle with honey. Not capable of wordy reviews or in-depth comments as to taste (you know, not like I can do the same... my reviews also suck just on a whole different level XD), but I think their one comment will suffice: "best baklava ever". There you go.

The third item I took because of the Greek-ness of it: a Bougassa Thessaloniki ($2.50), which is a rather big chunk of filo dough which somewhat resembles a strudel, especially with the powdered sugar and cinnamon on top. Cracking into this thing, the brothers found it to be similar to the large custard cake available for purchase, except without the honey. This was said to be "really good, but not as good as the baklava". Okay. :/

Overall, their single serve items are definitely worth it, and if you're in the area, definitely try their various baklava. Both are at an amazing price, especially for the quantity and quality you get. And well, it's delicious, so you can't go wrong. :P Be wary of the items sold by weight (the honey balls and various cookies), since, having experience with the former, it gets pretty pricey, pretty fast.

Rating: ***1/2

3 comments:

  1. Here in your blog I have read every single line and I think you are a good advisor about food. Also you have told about baklava I really think this baklava is amazing and its taste also very yummy. Moreover, I can suggest you about baklava pistachio it is the best baklava item that i have been ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for visiting my little site, Dominick, and I'll be sure to give your suggestion a try - I do love my baklava, after all!

      Delete