Valemount Swiss Bakery

Bakery: Valemount Swiss Bakery
Address: 1020 Main St, Valemount, BC 
Website: http://www.valemountswissbakery.com
Style: European, Swiss, Polish 
Price: $$ 

I've actually taken thew turn off for Valemount on the way to Jasper for the express purpose of visiting the Valemount Swiss Bakery a few times now and have found it closed, so do note that even in summer, you should check if it really is open.


Truth be told, I've always been interested in visiting the Swiss Bakery because of the Polish flag hanging outside alongside the Swiss one. Sure, it's random, but I'm of Polish heritage myself so it had to be done. Inside the small space - filled with people waiting while I was there on top of that - the baked goods are a mishmash of European, Eastern European and standard Canadian bakery fare: breads behind the counter and sweets scattered throughout. Honestly, the layout adds to the chaos with items located in various corners of the already tight space that only workers can handle.
However, as soon as I spotted those poppy seed baked goods, I knew what I had to have. Forget everything else! The poppy seed bun ($3.00) looked great, albeit a little clumsy with its three-ply shape. The dough was stiff and airy, perfectly suited to this type of bun and especially good because it was so fresh. The icing drizzled on top with the poppy seeds was also very good; however, I would have really liked it to have a lot more poppy seed and less raisins - it was a little dry and doughy as it was.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment