Pastry Snaffle's [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Pastry Snaffle's (ペイストリー スナッフルス)
Address: 12-13 Wakamatsucho, Hakodate, Hokkaido 
Website: http://www.snaffles.jp/
Style: Japanese 
Price: $$ 

Probably the most well-known of patisseries in Hakodate, Snaffle's also happens to have a retail outlet (more so than an actual pastry shop) in the impressive food area of Hakodate train station. I was counting on grabbing something before my train from here, but I was a bit disappointed that the vast majority of products at the train station are sold as elaborate gift boxes and there really isn't that much selection in terms of individual products, whether that be Snaffles' signature mini cheesecakes or their other pastries. Actually, there's not much individual selection at all.


Seeing as I didn't want to invest in a gift box, I had no choice but to go with the other product they were so enthusiastically advertising: the omupan (270 yen). I couldn't help but notice that there was an absolutely delicious scent of warm cinnamon baked goods coming from the Snaffle's booth. Seeing the baker behind the glass take out a whole tray of omupan from the oven, I presumed these golden buns were the cause of that aroma. Receiving the bun, I was admittedly disappointed to find that it was neither warm nor did it smell of anything, to be quite frank. What, then, was the source of that cinnamon goodness!? It's a mystery!

Anyways, it was only when photographing the bun that I finally made the connection: omupan = omurice = omelet. Why it didn't hit me earlier was another mystery... I'm not really egg crazy so it wasn't good news; however, I was lucky that my next accommodation had a toaster oven so I popped it in. The golden bun got a little more browned on top but still retained its softness... and it was really good! In the end, I was satisfied.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment