Oriental Bakery

Bakery: Oriental Bakery 
Address: 900 Rathburn Rd W, Mississauga ON 
Website: n/a 
Style: Chinese 
Price:

It's been awhile since I've returned to Oriental Bakery. The first time was a couple years ago now and I went in with the idea of adding it to my list of the city's Chinese bakeries. Unfortunately, there were no sweet items, not even standard items like pineapple buns, and the place was filled with empty trays, so there was no review. Fast forward to now. Hearing something about Oriental Bakery having very good sweet buns, I decided to give it another try. I found they'd revamped their logo and sign outside and seemed a lot more popping than when I went. New management, perhaps? Or just an increased demand for Chinese bakeries? Regardless of the reason, inside it was the same few shelves of plastic trays along the wall.
 However, I don't remember their sweet buns from before. Their signature style seems to be super soft round buns that are unevenly covered with a slightly crunchy, frothy top.
At the very least, this was true of the two buns I took: the pineapple custard bun and the Mexican chocolate ($1.20 each). Biting into the Mexican chocolate, I found there was nothing really to it besides that coating. I would have liked more flavour in the bun itself. The pineapple bun had good texture, with almost a chewy top with not too much custard on the inside. One thing people do seem to get right is that, yes, they are super soft, like big balls of fluff. Eaten fresh, they have great texture; definitely better than your average Chinese bakery.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment