Homestead Bakeshop

Bakery: Homestead Bakeshop
Address: 228 24 St, Fort McLeod AB
Website: https://www.homesteadbakeshop.ca/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

Right in the middle of Main St Fort McLeod, I found this relatively new bakery. Simply given the size of the place and just general trends, I was expecting this to be your typical small-town bakery. You know the kind: squares and cookies, maybe some really good doughnuts. Instead, I was surprised to find a pretty, tastefully decorated artisanal bakery that wouldn't be out of place on the hippest of city streets. Not that the former is a bad thing, of course. ;) Both are good and well, a bakery is a bakery~

Fortunately for me, my bakery touring that day started nearby and I was actually at Homestead before lunch. ((This must, I need to add, be celebrated; it seems a general rule for me to be running in a few hours before closing)) Nonetheless, I did find labels with items obviously cleared out and others on their way there. I found goodies made with flaky dough, others with puff pastry, a few surprising finds (were those Dutch almond tarts!?) and more rustic, artisanal versions of baking classics such as butter tarts, cookies, muffins, and these guys: sticky buns ($1.95).
Yes, I was debating between this and the almond tart, but this being the third bakery so far (three more would follow .__., I thought it would be more budget friendly to "stick" to the bun. Ha ha, get it? Anyways, this was a tall bun with a slightly flaky exterior and a soft inside, similar to what you might expect from a danish or French-style cinnamon buns; all of that was then beautifully topped off with sticky syrup just oozing down the sides and big chunks of nuts. A bit of caramel, a bit of cinnamon, some walnuts -- yum, this was good!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment