Falcon Lake Bakery Bistro

Bakery: Falcon Lake Bakery Bistro
Address: 21A Park Blvd, Falcon Lake MB
Website: http://www.falconlakebakery.com/
Style: Canadian
Price: $$$

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country! Here are the results.

Still suffering from my defeat in Thunder Bay, I decided to up the ante on Cake Touring and to get as many bakeries from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg as possible. Problem is, there aren't any bakeries to be done. However, there was Falcon Lake.

Falcon Lake Bakery Bistro is a bit of everything. They have a little restaurant on one side; they serve gelato (hence the insanity at the cash) and then have racks of baked goods including mostly bread, with muffins and cookies as well: simpler, homestyle fare with not a price to be seen. They also advertise their famous cinnamon buns, which unlike everything else, is kept hidden behind the counter.
 I think the first thing that made me not too predisposed towards them was the chaos at the time of purchase. It took 25 minutes and a separate line for people just buying bakery items should have been made; having to wait 10 minutes for one group to decide what ice cream flavours they want wasn't fair to those with just a loaf of bread or paper bag.... Didn't find it the greatest value either; at least, I felt the $9 I paid for everything too much for what it was (homestyle baking).  
Then came the baked goodies. While the classic carrot cake was fairly standard with its semi-thick layer of cream cheese icing, though not overly remarkable and a bit lacking in carrots, those famous cinnamon buns were disappointing. Uh, what happened to these? First of all, they were so dry and not even the parts with some coagulated sugar could help them out. Airy and dotted with raisins (and I don't like raisins ;P), there was so little cinnamon and I think anyone would assume it's just a raisin bun. This coming on the same day as my Thunder Bay flop, I was devastated! ;__;

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment