Austin Bake and Coffee Shop

Bakery: Austin Bake and Coffee Shop
Address: 30 2 Ave, Austin MB
Website: n/a
Style: Canadian
Price: $

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country! Here are the results. 

From Winnipeg, I set out across the prairies and ended up with one of my most productive days! The first of these stops was the small town of Austin, Manitoba. There was another cafe advertising homemade baked goods on the edge of town, but I'd previously researched this place, and to Austin Bake and Coffee Shop I went. Well, it certainly wasn't a very lively place; we were the only ones and the shelves of baked goods seemed quite barren and gave the impression of it having never been full. Doughnuts had labels but were gone save one or two; there was a large pie and some sweet buns, with not a lot looking very exciting. The lunch options were similarly limited and the use of processed cheese in the homemade panini wasn't greatly appreciated, but there was a silver lining and it came in the form of the Saskatoon (berry) pie ($1.25).
I've heard great things about Saskatoon pies from my bakery correspondents and this was my chance to try one. Slightly flaky pie dough rolled into a sort of handheld pocket and stuffed with Saskatoon berry filling and drizzled with a bit of icing on top, it took one bite and I was hooked. This was so good that I instantly dreamed up visions of going to one prairie bakery after another, gobbling up these delectable personal pies... except no other bakery I stopped at had them and all I had was a lingering regret of, especially at such a ridiculously low price, why hadn't I bought more!?!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment