Wildflour Baking Co. [RIP]





Bakery: Wildflour Baking Co. 
Address: 36 James St, Parry Sound ON
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$$  

At the beginning of August, I embarked on a road trip from Toronto to Kelowna. Five provinces. Six days. Sure, the main purpose wasn't to go cake touring, but it was certainly a top priority, especially considering that I am still aiming for 150 bakeries from all over the country!

And so we begin~ Given the fact that I've already covered a lot of ground from Toronto to Muskoka, Wildflour was the official first stop of this road trip. Actually, it almost didn't happen, since I made a note of all bakery hours and was devastated that we arrived in Parry Sound at around 3:30 -- my notes stated the bakery closed at 3. Realizing that nothing else was slotted for that day, I decided to risk and -- lo and behold! -- the bakery's summer hours extended it by one hour. Wildflour was open!
Unfortunately, there was not that much celebrating to be had, since the one thing I never like to happen did happen: the place was cleaned out. Two loaves of bread on the shelf and a whole lot of empty baskets and spaces. At first glance, there was just the date square and gluten-free mango slice, and not being in the mood for a date square that day, I inquired if they had anything else that was sweet and was shown this particular pastry that is known as the pinwheel ($4.25 with tax). Truth be told, it looked more like a savoury pastry with bacon bits and creamy sauce or egg... and with nothing priced and very little labelled, the $4.25 came as a surprise.

Well, those bacon bits (lol) did turn out to be pieces of walnuts and the creamy sauce a custard that was rolled round with the flaky dough. My initial impression of it looking like a savoury pastry stuck, however; the dough itself wasn't sweet at all and would be more suited to the sausage rolls they also sold. As a matter of fact, I found the whole thing strangely bland, flavourless. The dough had no distinctive flavour (though a nice flaky dough should) and the custard didn't help matters much. All in all, I came away feeling a bit disappointed with my purchase; I should have taken the date square after all!

Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment