Don's Donuts [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Don's Donuts
Address: Usually at Hlemmur, Reykjavik
Website: http://www.donsdonuts.is/
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$$

Don's Donuts is, as the picture clearly indicates, a food truck (yes, the gourmet food truck trend has hit Iceland...) often located at the small square across the street from Hlemmur bus terminal, which is where I bought my doughnuts. The website states that they can also be found at Lækjartorg (food truck central downtown at Lækjargata and Austurstræti) and they have an actual store in the suburb of Kópavogur, where it's possible to also buy... doughnut milkshakes. Which does not sound tasty. Anyways, Don's Donuts makes mini doughnuts, freshly fried, served hot and topped with your choice of toppings which ranges from various sauces to sugar to a selection of candy. And what seems to be a common find with food trucks, they're not exactly well priced, even when overlooking any sort of conversion rates. 650kr gets you six bite-size doughnuts (you get a better "deal" the more you buy) and the fact they disappeared in no time made this not seem a worthwhile purchase, disregarding how good they were.
But I got six doughnuts. Six small, adorable doughnuts who are waiting to be eaten. They were warm, slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. I took half with cinnamon and sugar (when sampling simplicity is best, and why would I would to coat my doughnuts in licorice and chocolate!?) and, at the insistence of the worker who said it was really good, half with caramel sauce. Sometimes these well-meaning advisors just screw things up for me, but I have to say she had a point: coated in caramel sauce was really good. :P Mmmm, it's been a while since I've had what we in the family call "Stampede doughnuts" (don't worry if you don't get it)! I do have a soft spot for doughnuts, especially when they're fresh and warm and coated with yum. Probably the best doughnuts in Reykjavik, but not worth the price... especially when I'd probably um, get twelve for myself next time. .____. //Confession of a fried-dougholic.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment