Seventh Sister Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Seventh Sister Bakery 
Address: 53 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto ON 
Website: n/a 
Style: North American, Canadian 
Price:

This place is little enough to miss and, indeed, I've actually done so a couple of times before I realized there was a bakery here that I had yet to try. ;) Seventh Sister is an adorably petite bakery and cafe with all baked goods presented (with labels, explanations and prices on each of them) in the window on small plates. There's not a lot of anything, in terms of number, and I assume that once the plate has been cleaned out for the day, that's it, but the selection of bite-size cookies, squares and danishes is pretty impressive, in that they put in the effort to actually be creative (like the Star Wars inspired baked goods and potato chip muffins) and feature goodies that you won't find anything else. And the inside is just so... cute and kitschy (the guestbook was an especially nice touch ^^) that it totally inspired me -- this is how my tea shop would be (don't mind me.. I have my delusions)! It was great.

Nonetheless, I picked out (the descriptions of ingredients and texture on each item really helps you out -- I have to give them bonus points for that) two treats this time around: the Nova Scotia oatcake (which I know I won't get anywhere else; $2.00), a big brick of chewy oats spiced with a whole bunch of cinnamon. If you love cinnamon, as I do, this is a good thing to try. :) I'd only say that it crumbled a little too easily and, ha ha ha, it tasted really... healthy (not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose), but other than that, it was tasty....

Although it couldn't beat item #2: Cherry Chewbaccas ($1.00/each or 3/$2.75) which were described as being made with oats, coconut, and maraschino cherries, but had this complexity that made it hard to figure out just what they contained. Except that they did *not* contain "chewy wookies" -- seriously, people like me do exist out there! :D So, yes, cherries, oats and coconuts, possibly something else, cram-packed into a square and topped with a generous layer of butter cream icing. These were good. Too good... no, they were only too small. I now realize (as three people tried these) that the reason these have a three-item deal is because you buy all three for yourself. Mmmm...

A great find! Actually, I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a review, but that's what wookies do to you. :P

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment