Akko Cake House

Bakery: Akko Cake House 
Address: 4040 Creditview Rd, Mississauga ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Chinese
Price: $

[Hello again! Before I begin with this week's (and last week's) stops, I thought I'd pop in and let you know I have two new pages to introduce, mainly my Cake Tour Map (seen here), which took three weeks to create, but I hope it was worth it! It has all stops, complete with interactive map and custom markers (with all necessary information). Wow, how neat is that! *-* And because this wasn't enough Photoshop fun for one weekend, I decided to make a separate suggestion page, because um, why not? Sure you can comment on any possible review and make a suggestion, but it's... not the suggestion box. ^^;;;; Both can be accessed at any time through the side bar *points* And check out the cake icon on the browser bar... yes, when I have a shortage of bakeries, I truly have NO life]

Anyways, this was suggested to me in the summer and I finally popped into this established Chinese bakery on a Sunday afternoon. This in itself wasn't very smart, since the bakery was literally emptied out and only a few bins remained, with all the leftover buns crammed into two compartments. In some way, this is good since you know they bake this stuff every day, but it was hard picking something out (that didn't have meat in it, on top of that!).

Nonetheless, as an intro, somewhat contrary to the name, Akko Cake House is indeed a Chinese bakery and, like all Chinese bakeries, their focus is on meat/savoury buns or flaky pastries and egg tarts (online comments claim these guys have some pretty good ones). Tucked into the fridge by the cash, they do have some cakes, but I can't say I was overly thrilled with the two we tried many years ago (one reason why I didn't really return): one was a sort of fruit cake which was pretty much sponge cake stuck together with Cool Whip. This is a fairly standard 'recipe', but I don't think I can recommend it from any place. I don't know if they still make it (even the cakes were sold out when I was there!), we had one that was a lighter version of the standard birthday cake was a mango mousse cake, with a sort of mass of mango and maybe condensed milk? It was alright, but as a Cake House, Akko is certainly not 'great' value -- at over $20, you can pay that elsewhere and get an amazing cake. There are, however, several options (and not many exist in Mississauga) if you don't want to go the traditional, frosted birthday cake route.

As a bakery, they're not bad. Actually, they're probably one of the best Chinese bakeries in the city (though there aren't that many besides supermarkets) with plenty of selection (according to the labels that were on the ledge), both sweet and savoury alike, and, at almost everything under $1, amazing prices. They may be slightly smaller than the supermarket versions, but for that, they're fairly generously filled and pretty tasty.

From the two or three sweet things left, I picked out: a walnut bun ($0.80), stuffed with a walnut mass and brushed with egg on top. This was good and a big hit with brother#1 who claimed that this is probably the best bun you can get in the area.

Next up was the famous almond cookie ($0.90). On the hunt for the best almond cookie (this is brother#2's great idea), he said this one came pretty close, tasting like it came from a bakery... not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I suppose it wasn't commercial-tasting or -looking with parts brushed in eggs and actual slivered almonds in sight. And it wasn't neon yellow! :P Another hit.

Lastly, I settled for the sponge cake ($0.80), which ended up being not the greatest I've had, but still good, especially with the bit of a crust from the brushed egg. A little too brown and the bottom of the cup also had this scorched dough feeling; the dough itself was slightly dry, going with the 'too long in the oven' theory. I suppose I know why there were so many left. :| Somewhat of a miss.

Overall, Akko Cake House is quite good and probably beats anything in the city in terms of taste and price when it comes to Chinese baking.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment