Bread's Fusion [RIP]

Bakery: Bread's Fusion 
Address: 363 Kerr St, Oakville ON
Website: http://breadsfusion.com/
Style: Venezuelan
Price: $$-$$$

[Note: this bakery no longer exists. Signage indicates a French and Middle Eastern patisserie is on its way, so look out for that one]

Here's another Oakville bakery. I actually don't get many chances to try the bakeries in Oakville, so I was pretty thrilled that my mom came back with two paper bags from this new bakery, cafe & deli that opened up on Kerr Street (in what is known, I think, Kerr Village) and which replaced the Polish deli where I had a poppy seed bun from and never got a chance to review because I didn't know what it was called. *sighs* There goes that idea...

Anyways, from my experience, South American bakeries are a little like Vietnamese restaurants: the food may be pretty simple, but you can eat your fill of (generally) tasty stuff for a great price. I don't think this place lives up to that generalization. Bread's Fusion, a Venezuelan bakery in Oakville, also carrying some (unnecessary) North American sweets, is not too well priced (and hey! taxes not included!?! :P) in terms of their simple, traditional pastries, especially considering that I was flipping through my old posts for the sake of the previous post and found I had bought the same thing at half the price ($1.50, taxes inc.) in Toronto. :/

Not to say that it wasn't good. On the contrary. These guys don't have that many options if you do want to go for their authentic baked goods; their menu lists four different fillings (though I believe each pastry only has that one filling? Possibly?), all of which are fruit (and one with cheese). As the lady told my mom, the guava and cheese is the most popular, but seeing as this is similar to the one at Colombian bakeries, I ended up with:

One prune pastry ($2.60) was a simple, thick sheet of puff pastry folded over a nice and gloopy (I'm not sure if 'nice and gloopy' go well together, but just play along XD) prune jam. A little dry in the middle with that triple layer of puff pastry, but still good.

The second item ($2.60) was a sort of apple pie stuffed with a spiced apple puree that just didn't want to stay in the thin, flaky dough. Again, quite good; I had a similar thing at Pancho's, but with egg brushed on top to hold the dough together more. This fell apart a little too easily in the middle, but I really liked the filling and the plain, unsweetened dough was also quite tasty. Both were, as I mentioned, very simple, rustic even with no garnish and little else except fruit on the inside, so $3.00/each was a little much when you think about it. I would personally expect to pay $2.25, $2.50 at most, with taxes for what it was. This was definitely the only minus, except, as my mom was complaining, not being able to find a parking place. XD

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment