Pâtisserie Sadaharu Aoki [Mimi's World Tour]







Bakery: Pâtisserie Sadaharu Aoki
Address: 38-40 Rue de la Chaussée d'Antin, Paris (basement of the Galeries Lafayette)
Website: www.sadaharuaoki.com
Style: Japanese, French
Price: $$

Although the main location is on Rue Vaugirard on the Rive Gauche, it was closed when I came along, so the only chance I got was in the basement/supermarket section of the Galeries Lafayette department store. This is accessed through the men's store (across the street from the main, women's section if my memory serves me correctly). Anyways, Pâtisserie Sadaharu Aoki, which is a pastry shop started by the Japanese-born, French-trained pastry chef of the same name. They also have locations in Tokyo, which I thought neat. You can't see very well what's there, but they had some beautiful pastries and cookies and chocolates with Japanese-inspired ingredients like green tea, red bean, etc.

The big purchase of the day came in the form of six macaroons (1-euro something for one; apologies for the horrible picture! Not sure what I was thinking when I made it...). They had the standard flavours as well, but I purposely picked out the Japanese flavours... without actually knowing what they were (except 'matcha') since they all had the original, Japanese names: green are matcha (green tea), yellow are some sort of candied plum, and the lovely red ones turned out to be black sesame. The plum was pretty good, the matcha amazing, and the black sesame extremely odd... after a first few bites, you think it's really good, but then when you keep eating it, you notice that they're actually really salty... and sweet at the same time. And then, upon the second cookie, you kind of feel like puking.XP And yet, I recommend it, I really do; should have tried a pastry though, because maaan, I bet they're good! ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment