Petrasek Bakery

Bakery: Petrasek Bakery 
Address: 301 Main St #101, Penticton BC 
Website: n/a 
Style: European, Canadian, German 
Price: $$

New bakery alert! Or, at least I think so. I've been to Penticton several times and am fairly familiar with its bakery scene; that's why I found myself on Main St, staring up at the big green "Petrasek Bakery" sign in some confusion. Was that always there? No, it couldn't have been, and yet that means that a simply out and opened without me remarking it. In a pretty bakery-friendly place as it is. Way to go, Penticton!
Even more amazingly, Petrasek Bakery is a small European-style bakery selling fancy, high-quality patisserie-level breads and pastries like croissants, cinnamon buns and chocolate pastries in addition to the items purchased. One of those items really only added to my surprise and wonder: yes, it was indeed a kouign amann. Certainly the only source in the Okanagan if you're as much a fan of these buttery pastries as I am. My rule is that if I see anyone selling kouign amann ($3.50), I always take it. This was no exception. This flat spiral-shaped one was very good; a softer, buttery dough with just the right touch of sweetness. The outside had a nice crunch and the slightly sticky caramelized bottom was spot on.
I also couldn't resist a fruit danish as well ($4.50). The dough was soft and flaky with that fresh crunch right along the outside. The filling was rich and wholesome with plenty of fruit and cream. This bakery truly is the real deal!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment