The Sawdust Bakery

Bakery: The Sawdust Bakery
Address: 3185 Via Centrale, Kelowna, BC
Website: https://www.thesawdustbakery.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Initially I thought that I'd covered all proper bakeries within Kelowna when I noticed there was one more, waiting to be done. That was The Sawdust Bakery. Fairly out of the way in terms of retail businesses in town, which is always nice, Sawdust Bakery is located on the ground floor of a newer hotel. In some ways, I feel like they're more cafe/bistro than dedicated bakery; I can't help but say that whenever pizza and/or coffee is the headlining feature, so while they do have a small selection of baked goods and cake, I was at the same time a bit disappointed that it had more coffee shop vibes than expected and that a bit of online research beforehand made it seem much more impressive than the saran-wrapped treats that awaited me.
 I had a slice of their carrot cake. I did like that you could see the bits of shredded carrot throughout the dough; it's good when you can say for certain it is indeed a carrot cake and not just any general spice cake. However, a huge fan of that cream cheese icing, this one was definitely lacking, especially given how tall the actual loaf was. The icing should always be a nice thick layer. Personally, I didn't really like how that icing was also flattened by the saran wrap covering the cake slice; luckily, none of that icing stuck to the plastic!

Overall, a bit too much focus on pizza and soup for my liking, but a nice, out-of-the-way spot for those tired of heading downtown or dealing with plazas.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment