Lee's Donuts

Bakery: Lee's Donuts
Address: 1689 Johnston St, Vancouver BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Doughnuts
Price: $$

After my trip to Vancouver last year, someone sent me an article about the top sweet treats you must try across Canada. As with most lists like this, I disagreed with a lot of what they put and questioned the rest, but when I saw Lee's Donuts, I couldn't believe I'd missed it. It was nothing outlandish, no crazy ice cream contraptions or questionable head-scratchers. They were just doughnuts, classic doughnuts -- and I'd missed them! Yes, you can imagine my horror, but being in Vancouver again late this summer, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I made my way to Granville Island, waited in line, and got my doughnut!!
Lee's Donuts is, without a doubt, a classic, old-school doughnut stand. While they feature a little maple bacon, the doughnuts come in all the traditional flavours. They may be a bit Granville-priced (why do the fritters cost so much!?), but they're fresh -- and popular.
 I didn't even know that the honey-dipped doughnut ($2.00 all doughnuts) was their signature flavour. I like to take it because it's a good way to gauge how good a doughnut is without all the bells and whistles attached. Of course, whenever the humble honey dip is the signature flavour, it's a good sign. And while it didn't come to me warm as stated, it was nonetheless very fresh with a soft, translucent glaze that crackled every so slightly upon contact. The dough was moist and so soft. It was like a Tim Hortons doughnut, but actually good. And the same can definitely be said of the blueberry jelly doughnut. Simple sugar outside, good jelly to dough ratio on the inside. Great doughnuts, but in the end, it wasn't mind-blowingly phenomenal; it's just what doughnuts should taste like!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment