Angelika's German Bakery

Bakery: Angelika's German Bakery
Address: 19893 Route 2, Hunter River PEI
Website: http://www.angelikasgermanpastry.com/
Style: German, European
Price: $$$

On a more extensive bakery tour of PEI compared to last time, I finally managed to stumble upon a small-town bakery. And it was a German bakery, which always makes things that much more exciting. ;) Nevertheless, Angelika's really is a German bakery and is filled with some of the most famous German baked goods: an exciting assortment of strudels, cookies, Black Forest cake along with some more local favourites like Nanaimo bars, cinnamon buns, muffins and danishes. Considering how humble the establishment is, I was a little surprised at finding it quite pricey. Some items were downright jaw-droppers.
Still, I picked up two items: the cinnamon crunch ($3) and the apple strudel ($4.50). Both were given to me automatically warmed up which I didn't quite appreciate, especially when I would probably not think of eating either heated. Of course, there are some things that are very good warmed up, like apple pie, and others that taste better warm, simply because the warmth mimics the feeling of a freshly baked treat when it's... not. But I think that this is a decision made after trying the cold one and realizing it needs a little freshening up.
Putting that aside, I would have like both to have had more flavour and spice, particularly with the apple strudel filling, which lacked a hint of cinnamon or a bit more sugar. Not sure. I would have preferred the dough to be a bit flakier as well. In the end, I was hoping for better.

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment