Brambles Bakery & Cafe

Bakery: Brambles Bakery & Cafe
Address: 2151 Quilchena Ave, Merritt BC 
Website: https://www.bramblesbakery.com/
Style: Canadian 
Price: $$ 

I made a bit of a detour on the way to Vancouver and popped into the town of Merritt, whose one bakery-related merit (ha ha ha, I crack myself up sometimes!) is Brambles. Stepping inside, I was welcomed by a sight that I hadn't really seen in awhile: what I like to call the BC bakery. Right down to the biodegradable packaging. You know, slightly eclectic, rustic, home-style baked goods and decor that has a little bit of everything for everyone. Yeah, I kind of missed them following my trip to Victoria. Not necessarily because I wanted the vegan brownie, of course, but it's a cozy kind of place and Brambles is no exception.
 Unfortunately, their "famous" sticky buns were nowhere to be seen and the baked good selection wasn't that extensive on a busy weekday lunch rush. I wasn't really in the mood for that vegan brownie, but I spotted the one thing I did want: apple pie ($3.25 per slice) I haven't had apple pie from a bakery in a long time, mostly because they never look and taste unique. Gloopy pie filling that could very well come from a can and a starchy white, cookie-cutter shell. Not here. This generous slice was golden and flaky with slices of apples baked with cinnamon to form a sweet, runny sauce that oozed out of this beauty. No starchy gloop here. And then the crunch from the crust dotted with coarse sugar. Mmmm... I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an apple pie like I did here!
For my more health-conscious fellow traveller, there was the apple spice muffin ($2.49). Lots of apple and oats with hearty, spiced dough that didn't taste like vanilla cake (always a concern when it comes to muffins). A great start to the day -- and to the weekend trip to Vancouver!

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment