Okanagan Bakehouse

Bakery: Okanagan Bakehouse
Address: 1800 Kalamalka Rd, Vernon BC
Website: facebook 
Style: German, European 
Price: $$  

A day trip to Vernon turned into getting quite a few bakeries in town. Rather, I think this pretty much will cover it. I'm always so proud of myself when this happens.

Anyways, the first of the day was Okanagan Bakehouse, a German-style bakery specializing in organic sourdough and other types of bread. In fact, their bread can be found throughout the area; at least I've seen them in various Farm Market stores in Kelowna. No baked goods though. That requires a dedicated trip to the store itself. As is the case with most "bread bakeries", the selection of sweets is limited. Actually, I found it quite limited and with the exception of a few whole cakes in the display, I was having a difficult time deciding on what I wanted. Not to mention nothing is either labelled or priced, which is always a little frustrating to see.
However, just when I was getting to ready, I stepped up to the counter and spotted two poppy seed buns. A bit hard to see they were indeed poppy seed buns under all that crumble, but who doesn't love crumble? At any rate, I love crumble and this poppy seed bun ($2.95) was downright slathered in it. Underneath, plenty of poppy seed mass rolled round in a soft and fluffy, cinnamon bun-like dough; on top, a drizzle of icing. Delicious -- and my favourite bakery in Vernon!!

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment