Matterhorn Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Matterhorn Bakery
Address: 3640 Gosset Rd, West Kelowna BC
Website: facebook 
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

 There are only two dedicated bakeries in West Kelowna: Bliss and Matterhorn. Tucked into one obscure corner of an otherwise not too exciting plaza, the name and mountain cabin vibes of their interior (though I was a bit disenchanted when I found it's really just one wall) screamed Swiss bakery, and me, always fond of European baked goods, was really excited to give it a try. Stepping in, I did find it a little... lacking in selection and not quite as Swiss as I would have liked it to be. Rather, there was nothing Swiss about what they had for sale, this being limited to cinnamon buns, muffins, cookies, and one cheesecake. I didn't come so late either! Perhaps it's more of a lunch place or everyone snatches everything up early? I'm not quite sure.
 However way you look at it, I decided to try their mammoth cinnamon buns ($3.49 each). More in terms of height than width, but still a pretty hefty piece of dough. This dough was airy and fluffy, interspersed with cinnamon deposits and rising up with snow-capped peaks of delicious icing (ha ha ha, hopefully you see where I'm going with this :P). A bit pricey for what it is, but still good.
I also scored a 6-pack of day-old cookies priced at half off (50% off 6/$6, so $3 for the pack). Being cookies, they weren't worse for wear and I could enjoy some melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies with jam and chocolate chip. Yummy! It's so hard to find shortbread that's actually light and delicate in both texture and taste. Personally, I think I liked the cookies more than the cinnamon bun.

Despite the lack of selection, Matterhorn is my favourite of the two (though Kekuli's bannock "doughnuts" are still the best ^^) on the west bank.

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment