Le Viennois [International Correspondent]

 Bakery: Le Viennois 
Address: 359 des Saguenéens, Chicoutimi QC 
Website: http://www.leviennois.ca/
Style: French
Price: $$ 

Along the craggy banks of the Saguenay lies the city of Chicoutimi. [editor's note: yes, the latest correspondent takes his job way too seriously... or not seriously enough -__-] I was there this past summer on a train tour of the scenic Charlevoix region and stayed briefly in Chicoutimi, where we had lunch. Nearby is Le Viennois, resembling a typical office building coffee shop. Disappointed after a string of closed patisseries along the way, I was pleasantly surprised by the immense, mouth-watering selection that Le Viennois offered, from fresh baked goods to tortes and pastries. The prices are standard for a patisserie.

While here, I selected two individual pastry slices. The first was a classic mille-feuille; that is, what is known in English as a napoleon. It was very good; however, the chocolate and almond cake (which I believe was named after the establishment) was much better. I enjoyed the chocolate slice very much and could taste it was made with skill and only quality ingredients.

Looking back, Le Viennois is a very good, authentic patisserie and probably (since I have yet to visit others, although the places I visit are usually the better ones, because I have good taste) the best in Chicoutimi.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment