SB Helli's Backshop [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: SB Helli's Backshop
Address: Tegernseer Landstraße 49, Munich
Website: n/a
Style: German
Price: $

Whoa... why on earth is this still in my pictures folder? Waiting and waiting to be posted... what's wrong with me? Actually, I was a little unsure of whether to post this at all, seeing as it's super old (I don't want to know how long it's been since I was in Munich! ;_;) and the photography sucks worse than usual... but give me a break, it was pre-Cake Tour days!

Nonetheless, Helli's Backshop belongs to the SB chain of discount bakeries in the Munich area. I recall there was another at Karlsplatz-Stachus and doubtless elsewhere as well, just that I didn't notice it. These bakeries will probably be the cheapest you'll find, with baked goods at under one euro and a fairly decent selection of German favourites (this, of course, means poppy seed buns for me ^-^) as well as, for whatever reason, a few international ones like croissants and doughnuts (though I will personally never understand why someone would want to buy a "doughnut" when they can get a soft, yummy Berliner/Krapfen instead *shakes head in wonder*) The place, however, stresses value over everything else, so I found that the quality of the goods wasn't the greatest, though they were always freshly baked and more often than not already sold out whenever I returned in the afternoon. At the same time, I could never ever complain (even if I did prefer the Müller across the street) about what I managed to snag at Helli's for very cheap.

I popped in on three separate occasions and well, here's what I left with (more snippets from my travelogue): the selection seems to rotate a little, since I only encountered the beloved poppy seed bun almost once on my trips there, and that being the last time. I guess my perseverance paid off. :P Sadly/Oddly enough, this is one of the few poppy seed buns on my trip to Munich. It was very good, though the one I had at the airport was better... and bigger. A little skimpy with the poppy seed on the outside ring, but soft, iced nicely and.. tasty.

The next treat was a Krapfen (it's Munich, so it's a Krapfen for me; and yes, you're stuck looking at my not so photogenic finger... :)) -- this was actually my first (and only!?!? omg can this be?) time having a German doughnut. I got so used to the stale Polish ones they sell here that I forget how good a doughnut with fresh icing and a rather watery plum jam (instead of the plum better which, to be quite honest, I'm not too fond of), so I remember this one with great fondness. Mmmm...

Finally, I got what English would usually translate as a wildberry or mixed berry bun. A bit soggy, especially in terms of the few pieces of crumble topping, but it wasn't bad, though I do think this was my least favourite from Helli's. Still, pretty tasty.

And that's what I can say about Helli's (and the SB chain in general) overall: it's a tasty, fresh-baked treat for those who may not have the funds to step into the more fancy (and thus pricey) Konditori. There are always options~ :)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment