Isaac's Bakery

Bakery: Isaac's Bakery 
Address: 3390 Bathurst St, Toronto ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Jewish 
Price: $

Isaac's (nut and peanut free) Bakery seems to be an institution that's been here awhile (this coming from their sign, especially the fact that you don't find that many anymore with a 7-digit phone number ;)). Seeing as it was pretty much half a block from Grodzinski, I thought I could make a real trip of it and go here too. From the outside, I can't say it looks like much and I was even peeking in through the window to see if there was anything (the shelves were pretty much empty Sunday afternoon, so I don't really have an idea of what in terms of baked goods do they have to offer) to buy). However, I did spot a poppy seed bun in a day-old bag and well, went running. ;D

Actually, to be fair, I based this entire trip to Isaac's on one Google review stating they had the best chocolate danishes ever. And, of course, chocolate danishes usually mean poppy seed danishes aren't far behind. Yes, I don't stray far from my beloved poppy seed buns. ;) They fortunately had both ($2.25/each or $8.75 for, was it 6?) and, fortunately, we took the chocolate as well, because I don't think the brothers would have forgiven me otherwise. Not sharing with them the Google review, they ended up with the exact same verdict: where on earth did you get the chocolate buffalo from? It's the best thing I've ever tasted! (this brother actually went so far as to add that he'd trade his portion of Danish Pastry House heaven for another one) How about the other chocoholic brother? "Whoa!" (this said with that stunned, glazed look in his eyes) Seriously, this thing has chocolate in every form just bursting from it: rolled in a quality cacao mass with chocolate chunks and drizzled with even more dark chocolate on top. This was perfect, for chocolate and non-chocolate lovers alike! :P

As for my treat: this was also one amazing poppy seed bun. Actually, I'd give it a perfect, but it came too closely to the one from Grodzinski and that one, although different, was just... it blew my mind. This one, however, was delicious in its own rights and I can understand all too easily why there are so many people claiming that Isaac's is also home to the best challah bread: the dough wrapping all that delicious, oozing poppy seed mass was super fluffy, moist, and was a nice bright yellow from all the eggs. Mmmm... this is what egg dough is supposed to look and feel like! *-*

Isaac's is another one of these places that go to show you: if it looks like it's been in business for awhile, you *must* go in! Even crawling through all the slush and snow on the street corner was worth it! XD

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment