Le St Honore [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Le St Honore
Address: 158 Rue de la Roquette, Paris
Website: n/a
Style: French
Price: $

Delving once more into the stops I didn't yet do, I came up with a rather ancient one. Actually, it took me a bit of navigation with Google maps and street view and general intuition in one, since I never really thought of including this one at all with my Cake Tour; I hope it's the right place, but nothing seems to match *and* it looks familiar. But, I'm getting (very) desperate and I'm missing not having a whole cache of World Tours to do, so here goes:

On my very first day in Paris, I arrived quite late and didn't want to waste money on metro tickets, so I decided to just explore the neighbourhood (10e) around the apartment I had rented for the two weeks of my stay. It being rather late once I had unpacked, I pretty much popped into the first bakery I saw and, it being Paris, it didn't end up being such a long walk after all. ;) In reality, this place wasn't much in comparison to the real attractions in terms of Parisian patisseries (accordingly, you'll also pay a lot less, which is a plus :P); it's a rather small spot on the corner serving a little bread, a little savouries and some pastries as well as chocolates, tarts, macarons, and well, I don't quite remember much besides this.
I only know that I settled on the Gâteau Basque, simply because I had never heard of it before and am a little pleased I did, since I have yet to encounter this cake typical of the Basque region in France. And because, at 1,95 euro (this price will most likely not be accurate two years later), it was an absolute steal given it being a cake and the ginormous, very un-French (;DD) size of this thing.

As I was eating it, I actually couldn't figure out what it was, but it's pretty much a rather simple cake made of eggs and powdered almonds with either cherries (that, I did not get) or pastry cream, thrown all together and baked together. Nonetheless, (and now from my travelogue) this monster of a cake had to be split into three separate helpings it was that big. It was good though and reminded me a lot of Portuguese cakes with custard on the bottom and just plain sweet dough, although it was a little too burnt on top. It was pretty basic, so I got somewhat tired of it at the very end. XD Still, considering that I hadn't got my Cake Tour underway yet, at least officially, it was still a nice way to start those wonderful, delectable days in Paris. *-*

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment