Sunnlenska Bókakaffið [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Sunnlenska Bókakaffið
Address: Austurvegi 22, Selfoss
Website: http://bokakaffid.blog.is
Style: Icelandic
Price: --

I wasn't even thinking of putting this up at first, but looking back at my pictures, I was thinking: wait a minute! I got a Cake Tour almost every day I was here without even knowing it! O_O Whoa! Anyways, Sunnlenska is actually a bookstore/cafe... rather *the* bookstore/cafe in Selfoss, and not a bakery per se, but as with many cafes, you can find a few original goodies and well, this one just happens to be the home of the so-called "Waffle Party".

What on earth am I talking about? Well, for those who may not know, I volunteered at this very bookstore/cafe this summer and one perk was being hauled in almost every afternoon to what two of the other volunteers had termed "the Waffle Party" (you can buy everything on the small menu -- from drinks to waffles to "kleinur", Icelandic doughnuts -- but we got it all for free, so nah nah nah, no prices this time! :P). I swear, this turned into a highlight for many: taking a break from well, doing little work as it was, sitting down at the table or on the comfy sofas, and watching as one treat heaping with freshly whipped cream after another was deposited in front of us. So, here's this Waffle Party, step-by-step:

First came the drinks. Sometimes it was hot cocoa; other times it was Swiss Mocha. Always served with almost *too* much whipped cream and shredded chocolate on top and a piece of chocolate on the side (and a glass of water), as though the contents themselves weren't chocolatey enough. ;D Once Bjarni, the owner, made me some really good 'Pakistani milk tea' which would also go well with the waffles if you're not willing to go all out, calorie-wise. ;)

Next came the waffles, hot off the iron: crunchy on the edges and soft on the inside, with a dab of rhubarb jam in the middle (I actually bought some to take with me, but no one at home was willing to give the Party a try XP) The self-serve whipped cream (always fresh) is then plopped on top and then, well, it's pretty much as you like it. I loved (I will say I added more than usual just for the sake of this photo.. *ignores disbelieving laughs* ) mixing the jam and whipped cream and then spreading that all around so that the dough softened a little bit. Mmmmm... so good! And several times a week too... *-*


*sighs* Looking at this is bringing back all sorts of memories -- I do think that when (yes, it's always will be a "when") I return to Iceland, a visit back to Sunnlenska will be inevitable, not only for sentimental reasons, but for the waffles. :) Especially as I don't know how long I'll have to wait for one the volunteers to hold true to their promise of making a North American "Waffle Party" chain. :DDDDD

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment