Cafe Esplanad [Mimi's World Tour]

Bakery: Cafe Esplanad
Address: Esplanadi 37, Helsinki
Website: http://www.esplanad.fi/
Style: Finnish
Price: $$$$

To tell you the truth, I had popped into Cafe Esplanad on my first trip to Finland, three years ago. It was pre-Cake Tour days, but I was still lured in by that 'bakery' part and the crowds of people rushing in and out of this place. Seeing the prices and the somewhat erratic service, I stepped out just as quickly and continued on my way. ._. I returned solely based on the blurb in Lonely Planet about this place making the best cinnamon buns ever. Being a huge fan of Scandinavian cinnamon buns (and Finnish with their cardamom-infused dough probably reigns supreme ;)), I could *not* resist. So I returned. The same madness was back and even before you step inside, people are rushing past you. Once you're in the line for the takeaway food (basically only the baked goods), it's not much better. I think I stood there between five to ten minutes before being served (there were two people in front of me :/). Only select items are priced (mostly cakes) and some are written out on a chalkboard on the wall; either way, I found the prices expensive, almost downright ridiculous. At the very least, they should do as the Parisians do and charge different prices for eating there/away if you're paying for the cafe's location.

Nonetheless, I did leave with the cinnamon bun (a whopping 3,70 euro), a pretty huge, not very fresh bun rolled with not enough cinnamon and topped with the typical sprinkling of rock sugar. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what Lonely Planet saw in it, especially since they're usually more budget-oriented. Yes, it was good, but that's simply because I don't think Finnish cinnamon buns can ever be bad. ;) It was nothing special and, as a matter of fact, my fresh bun oozing with cinnamon I had at Stockmann during that same trip wowed me so much more than this one did, and for the price of one from Esplanad, I'd have 2.5! *shakes head in wonder* Perhaps this is one of these great places to see and be seen (as the hoards outside will attest), but it certainly isn't a place worth going to for just their baked goods. LP, you disappointed me! :(

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment