Coco [Mimi's World Tour]

 Bakery: Coco 
Address: Estonia pst 9, Tallinn (inside Solaris Keskus) 
Website: n/a 
Style: Estonian, Eastern European 
Price: $$$

Wah, with this post my Estonia trip comes to a close (actually, it brings my trip to an end, but I have a few informal reviews to do from Iceland). Just in terms of baked goods, my trip was far too short and I would have loved to hunt for more goodies, but alas, that's life.

Coco was my last stop and turned out to be the most disappointing. This bakery/cafe with the fancy facade is in the basement of the Solaris Keskus (shopping centre), right next to the supermarket. They seem to be more a place for a quick bite, as they seem to be more bread-oriented, though they had some cakes and -- as you'll see --the traditional poppy seed bun which I love so much. :3 I personally found them overpriced, especially after the past three days of buys, but I had made the walk here and didn't want to leave empty-handed. I could expect a cafe in Old Town to be overpriced, because well, there's no surprise there. Coco's location nor their selection warranted paying double for the same thing I bought in Old Town for 60 cents. I can't say the taste was worth it either.

Nevertheless, I bought a poppy seed bun (1,10 euro), because seriously, could you expect anything else from me? As with the one I got before, it was a lovely spiral rolled with whole poppy seeds and lemon marmalade. In this sense, I really can't say it disappointed: nice, airy dough and plenty of poppy seeds (the complexity of the spiral kind of made this a given) At the same time, it wasn't necessarily stunning: the marmalade and dough together got a bit slimy wherever there wasn't enough poppy seeds so the texture wasn't the most pleasant and there was a slight bitterness to it. Still good, but I must say I preferred the one from Maiasmokk better. And you'd get two for the price of one from Coco. Pff, need I say more? :P

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment