Diana Pasticceria

Bakery: Diana Pasticceria 
Address: 4910 Tomken Road, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: Italian
Price: $$

Diana Pasticceria is one of three, I believe, Italian pastry shops (and cafe and hot table) along the Italian food strip near Eglinton and Dixie on the Toronto/Mississauga boundary. I've already been to one of them: La Sem, so here's another one. :P

Diana's is actually one of the more impressive Italian pastry shops I've seen purely in terms of variety. There are places you go to, and they have one or two things (usually cannoli and some cookies), so it's really hard to pick out something from them; this one, on the other hand, is just packed with various cake slices all prettily decorated, traditional pastries, cookies, gelato, you name it. Anyways, it took much deliberation to pick out two items (this was one the same trip as Jadranka and El Quetzal, so I needed to restrain myself :P), though I'm not altogether sure it ended up being worth the effort. Well, I can't say it was bad, but not stellar either (especially since the memory of Tre Mari was still firmly imprinted on my tastebuds ;D)... but let's begin!

The first on the list was a traditional sfogliatelle ($2.25), which is pretty much flaky pastry sliced into these very thin leaves and stuffed with cream or sometimes ricotta cheese. Not sure what version these guys made or if it was a little of both, this proved to be a disappointment. I can't say I've tried this anywhere else, so maybe I need a comparison, but still there was no problem with the dough itself, as can be pretty much expected, but I don't know why, the filling just wasn't tasty and then it was simply too rich to keep wanting to eat it nonetheless. One brother couldn't seem to eat more than one bite; not sure what his problem was.

The cheesecake ($2.50) looked really nice (and isn't it? :P) with its little bit of chocolate mousse anchoring a blackberry and a strawberry and physalis/golden berry dipped in yummy dark chocolate, but again, although it was pretty good, I found it overwhelmingly rich. Seriously, you cannot eat these things in one sitting! O_O The real problem was there was nothing to break up all the cheese; there was a sliver of jam between the dough and cheese, but you couldn't taste it. This would have been so much better with more jam or a little less cream cheese?


Overall, like I said, I really can't say it was a negative experience, since you can tell... taste these guys know what they're doing, but at the same time it doesn't necessarily stand out as being anything amazing. Although it has the same rating, I must say I preferred La Sem. At the very least, their chocolate-dipped fruit was great and the gelato (albeit being somewhat pricey) looks very good. I wouldn't mind coming back for that and then I'd probably end up with another treat to sample, because that's just me. ;)

Rating: **1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment