Jaswoj Bakery [Updated]

Bakery: Jaśwoj Bakery
Address: 3015 Parkerhill Rd, Mississauga ON (1 more location on Dixie & Burnhamthorpe)
Website: n/a
Style: Polish
Price: $

Actually, I'm a little surprised that Jaśwoj Bakery, unlike other Polish businesses, still claims by their name that they're a bakery first, though even in the time that I've been around and shopping here I've seen the actual bakery part shrink, get worse and the deli section expand. In the beginning (of my, most unfortunately, coming here, not of the bakery's existence), they had so many original and unique goodies, all freshly baked at great prices and pretty high quality. I actually haven't come back in maybe two years (maybe more?) and have frequented other Polish delis/bakeries since then, since we stopped shopping once you got the impression that the baked goods were going downhill and the sausages and cold cuts can be bought elsewhere. But, although I can't exactly say their baked goods are well, good (though these guys do make *the* best doughnuts in the city), this is most definitely the best Polish bakery in Mississauga (though I'd always recommend going to the Wisla plaza location!!!!) / To be fair, the sweet buns with various fillings are insanely cheap at $0.99, but everything is cheap as well: the actual fillings are so skimpy that what you see is what you get and as for the rest, you're pretty much eating bread, so, as for me, I'd prefer paying more and getting a little more than just dough. The poppy seed loaf (or was it labelled as "coffee cake", I'm not sure now?) at $3.99 was a favourite before and now, well, it's clearly seen better days. The amount of poppy seed has dwindled to the point of extinction. There's some crumble and icing, but judging by the weight (the very first indicator of how good your poppy seed confection will be ;D), and the same goes for the buns, the super lightness is a sign there's going to be nothing in it. I passed that up and went instead, purely to add to the poppy seed label, for the equally weightless poppy seed bun.

I brought it back home and examined it in more detail and dun dun dun (yes, that's the cue for the music of doom!!), it looked a little familiar. As in Polcan, most disappointing poppy seed bun, familiar. Oh no. D: I've said it before, but I guess these are the advantages of Polish commercial bakeries (I really wish I were in another city/area and everyone made their own stuff... *sighs in longing*). It's pretty fair to say I wasn't too... excited with trying this again, but luckily, it was at least very fresh and edible. Besides this, though, the amount of poppy seed was as low as you could get and it must have been the glaze (done pre-baking and not as in icing), but there was something that bothered me about the smell. The glaze wasn't real egg or they used some funny aroma that I'm not aware of? I don't know that much, but I felt like something was... off about it, perhaps related in same way to the strange brown spots all over the top? O_o Let's just say, I won't be running back here for the buns...

I wasn't planning getting anything else besides this (the jam-filled was for the brother), but thought I might risk getting a piece of some cake behind the counter. This can be a scary endeavour, since a) the cakes might be old, b) some places charge a lot for the per kilo stuff, so you have to be careful with heavy stuff. Remembering that in my pre-Cake Tour days, I went to their second location at Dixie (the Wisła plaza -- which I, for some reason, prefer) for some Easter slab cakes and came away with two well-priced and tasty ones, I finally settled on a piece of cheesecake with cherry filling in some spots, a thin layer of cream at the top and a hardened chocolate glaze on top with slivered almonds. No prices are listed, so I was pretty amazed that half a chunk (5 pieces) cost $5.90! I was even more amazed to taste it and find it very fresh and soo good! The cheese part is actually really cheesy; you can pretty much file Polish cheesecake under two types, the one where the cheese mass is made more dough-y with added flour, eggs, etc. and the other which is pretty much.. cheeese; I prefer the latter. It's as rich as can be and you've gotta fast the rest of the day, but a sliver never hurt anyone... ^-^;;; So I was thrilled to just drive my fork into this fresh cheesy mass, with some hint of cherry and then the chocolate on top. OMG! This was waaay better than I expected!!

[NEW! Seeing as I've become a somewhat regular customer after that cheesecake, I thought it only fair to redo parts of this review and the ranking itself. In addition to being probably the only bakery/deli in Mississauga to actually bake their goods on a small scale and in-house and having the best cheesecake in the city (and actually, every other slab cake I've tried... nothing has been bad from here), they also have the best gingerbread (ask for the one with plum jam and cream).. this is the best gingerbread I can think of! *-* YUMMY! So, although I still wouldn't suggest getting the baked goods (or at least testing them for freshness), definitely go for the cakes. It's the best place in the city for them. ;)]

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment