Trigo Bakery

Bakery: Trigo Bakery
Address: 289 Dundas St E, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: Portuguese 
Price:

[Note: I've received word that there has been a management change following this review and the following may not apply. I'll keep this up until I get a chance to try the "new Trigo" for myself]

Trigo is a fairly tiny, somewhat obscure (at least, based on the fact that the only other people there all spoke Portuguese) bakery tucked into the back of the small Pizza Hut plaza on Dundas St. Despite their size, they still seem to have pretty much all the basics of Portuguese breads, buns and baked goods (fyi, Trigo baked breads are also sold in Highland Farms Mississauga). I went there on a holiday Monday, so, to be honest, I was expecting nothing to be there, but I was surprised in that sense. Their sweet selection was also pretty impressive and they have a variety of coconut and custard buns, custard tarts and cakes. It's not overwhelming in terms of choice, but it was nonetheless very easy to find something to sample and I could have settled for the other goodies as well. And I'm really not sure whether they were having some sort of special/end-of-day (it was 3pm) discount or something, but the baked goods were cheeeeeaaaap. O_O I paid $1 each, which sounds almost too good to be true. Something must have been going on; if not, pfff, this is the place to go when you're on a very tight baked good budget!
For myself, I purchased this cinnamon twist. This was a giant yeast pretzel that seemed halfway between a doughnut and sweet bread. The dough was very airy and stiff; being so big, just the plain dough in the middle was a tad boring and it was a little on the dry side already, but if you got a piece of the fried outer layer with cinnamon and sugar, mmm.... I had the same thing, I believe, from Nova (at least, it looks and tastes the same ^^) and I must say that, despite the 4-star rating, I think this one from Trigo beat the former: plenty of flavour, great texture. Good stuff!
I also got this custard ring with slivered almonds and powdered sugar on top: it was really good, but pretty dry. Perhaps the $1 was the sale/we need to get rid of this before we close price? Nonetheless, Portuguese bakeries are pretty reliable with their tasty, well-priced goods and Trigo's a great place to keep in mind!

Rating: ***

6 comments:

  1. i bought my wedding cake from them- and the same week as my wedding they called to tell me that the underpriced me, and then they called the day before to say they could no longer deliver my cake, and then the day of the wedding they brought a cake that wasnt the right colour, style, or pattern. It was awful. Luckily I had it cut right away. I was very angry- considering how much we had used them prior for other items. I wish i never paid her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for visiting my little site. :)

      I'll leave it up here for others to read and be informed of your experience!

      Delete
  2. I got similar experience. The cake I got was not what I had ordered. The women who served me didnt give a damn or were plain dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for visiting my little site! I appreciate your opinion and will leave it up here so as to let others know (and warn them about the cakes O.O).

      Delete
  3. Hello
    Trigo bakery has been under new ownership since February 2019. I encourage you to come in and try out a greater variety of fresh Portuguese pastries and beautifully decorated cakes for any occasion! Check out our Facebook /instagram pages! Looking forward to your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for letting me know and visiting my website. I'll make a note of the management change in the original post until I get a chance to try it again for myself. Thanks again for the information.

      Delete