Tova's Bakery

Bakery: Tova's Bakery
Address: 350 John St, Thornhill, ON 
Website: n/a
Style: Eastern European, Jewish
Price: $$ 

Tova's is a commercial/wholesale bakery operating out of Thornhill, though I highly doubt you can buy their stuff here. I bought mine from Highland Farms in Mississauga (I recall seeing some packed goodies from them in Starsky, but don't take my word for it. I just know I've seen these guys somewhere and had a hard time pinpointing where :/), though they didn't have the rougelah and challa that the reviewer on Google mentioned... actually, this was pretty much it in terms of selection in this supermarket, but given the amount of poppy seed oozing out of this thing, I am NOT complaining. :D I only went to the bakery section this time for bagels, so imagine my surprise when instead I found a freshly shipped, fully stocked shelf of these "Hungarian-style roulade" ($5.99) in either poppy seed or walnut fillings. Well, I'm sure everyone knew which one I picked up... and I had a lovely time with it. ;P

First of all, the "Hungarian" part really excited me beyond anything -- I thought I might have finally hit upon some Hungarian baked goods (I'm still looking for a bakery in the GTA -- any help?), but from that "rougelah and challa bread" comment, I believe I might have discovered a new Jewish bakery, which is... also a good thing. One can never try too many poppy seed strudels. And this one was amazingly good (taking into account it was bought in a supermarket and baked with all natural ingredients, it was brilliant!) with this thin, dense dough wrapped around a generous, practically oozing poppy seed mass of whole poppy seeds that gave it nice flavour and a slightly crunchy texture. Seriously, this was like a poppy seed sandwich! O__O Yumm...

And now... let's see if I can chance upon their other baked goods somewhere too. I wouldn't mind that in the least. :P

Rating: ***1/2

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the Hungarian baked goods at Blue Danube (Islington/Bloor area)? I think your jaw will drop!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *What* a way to grab my attention! O__O I'm in the Islington/Bloor area regularly and thought I'd scouted everything in the area. I suppose the idea of a sausage house having in-house baked goods (I've been on their websites and you have no idea how excited I'm getting) never entered my mind...

      Thank you VERY much for your comment -- I'm going there as soon as possible!! :D

      Delete
  2. I thought you would like that bit!! Excited to see how you make out and what you think. :-)

    ReplyDelete