Almar Bakarí [Mimi's World Tour] [RIP]






Bakery: Almar Bakarí
Address: Austurvegur 3-5, Selfoss 
Website: n/a
Style: Icelandic
Price: $-$$ 

[My last time in Selfoss, this past summer, I noticed this place is gone. :( There is another location in Hveragerði and I actually went there, but wasn't as impressed as I was with this place. This may be because I'm getting more picky or it wasn't to my liking. There was no poppy seed bun... But the cheese bun was still good. :P]

Almar Bakarí is a chain of bakeries which are always (if not, then almost always) attached to the outside of supermarkets. The ones I spotted in Reykjavik and Hveragerði were next door to Bonus, whereas in this case, it was in the same building as the Kronan supermarket in Selfoss. (please forgive the lack of accents, I didn't feel like opening up the dictionary to copy and paste them XD) I  think that the individual bakery will always be better than the chain, but this time around, I was proven wrong: surprising at it sounds, this had to be the runaway favourite from this year's Tour to Iceland! 

Well, one reason for this is the fact they had... poppy seed buns! Yes, yes, I'm shameless, but to make a poppy seed bun, there are standards that have to be met and these guys made the grade. On what turned into my cheese-bun tour (I had a total of three), these guys also made the best one: super soft dough rolled with the most cheese and sprinkled with mostly sesame seeds. Perfect! They've got a lot of goodies and I could have gone away with a lot more if I knew I could eat it. :D Settling on that poppy seed bun, amidst the other sweet rolls, was hard... but then again SO easy. LOL.

But pff, what am I talking about cheese buns for? The masterpiece was the poppy seed bun (I'm afraid I've completely forgotten prices .____.;;)!! Omg, this was just flawless: a soft, fluffy, freshly baked bun rolled like a cinnamon bun and filled with whole poppy seeds (versus crushed into a mass) and stuck in place with a bit of I believe lemon marmalade and then generously topped with crumble and icing. WOW. I see this and I want another one. I had one other poppy seed bun in Iceland, at Kornid, but this one beats it hands down.

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment