Fauchon Bakery [RIP]

Bakery: Fauchon (aka Royal Fauchon)
Address: 169 Dundas St. E, Mississauga ON (or 5460 Yonge St, North York ON)
Website: n/a
Style: Korean
Price: $

Fauchon, the Korean bakery with the super cheesy name (especially when you must remember not to get it confused with the famous French épicerie of the same name.. which has been reviewed here ^^), very recently opened in Mississauga, so after eating at Man Doo Hyang a few doors down in the same plaza, I thought I'd step in here and check it out, especially seeing as I can be a sucker for Korean baked goods. .___.;; The selection isn't huge and ranges from a few baskets of sweet or savoury buns, a few French staples like Madeleines (I really should try them next time..), some bread and typically Korean cakes (green tea, fruit, sweet potato) behind the counter. Buns are under $2 and I stuck to that this time around.

Korean buns are usually super-soft and, judging from the ingredients list on the back of the bags, baked with simple, natural ingredients like butter, cream and sugar (and believe me, you can taste it, though it makes you feel a little guilty after a few bites XDDD) and, for the sweet ones, either containing red bean or some sort of pastry cream.

A Korean lady came before us and loaded up on my purchase, buying four bags (of two; $1.75 -- pic at top) of them, so I thought I'd try it too, and omg, she had a reason. ;) In PAT supermarket, they used to have a bakery there that sold "Korean doughnuts" which was basically sweet bread with crumble on top which I loved, so this was the exact same concept: super fluffy bread with this amazing, soft crumble on top which was then cut open and filled with an equally light and fluffy (though I wouldn't be too deceived there with the "light" part ;D) pastry cream that tasted like freshly whipped cream made at home. Wow. WOW. Divide the two batons into two separate servings and you've got two super tasty snacks. I don't know if I can return and try something new the next time around; this is just SO good. *-*

Erm, *calms down a little bit*, I also got two more things for household trying: a red bean cookie-like bun ($1.50, I think) with flatter, though still soft dough with crumble on top and stuffed with red bean paste, which was enjoyed, although it wasn't anything too overwhelmingly wow, but that's how I can trust the brothers. They never help. :/

We also picked up something with no label because it looked 'different' (ie. no pastry cream) and thought the flakes on top were coconut, but yeah, this actually ended up being a chicken bun ($1.75) with chicken mixed with onions and the hole on top stuffed with cheese. I was a little disappointed to find it wasn't sweet, but the youngest brother ate it and really liked it (he claimed he'd rather have the chicken bun than the red bean cookie *shakes head in wonder*), although he'd call it more of a chicken salad on the inside, but yeah...

On top of that, the worker also gave us one bun for free! ^-^ We got a sweet bun (free!! $1.50, to buy) slightly similar to the crumble one above with the same super soft dough, but this one was stuffed with choux cream (mine had a different cream, though I can't quite remember which it was ^^;) instead. Good, good stuff. ;)

So, yup, it may not be Fauchon-Fauchon, but this one is still tasty with some pretty amazing Korean goodies for the sampling. And those crumble buns... *swoons*

Rating: ***1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment