Burnhamthorpe Fruit Market

Bakery: Burnhamthorpe Fruit Market
Address: 3647 Dixie Rd, Mississauga ON
Website: n/a
Style: Italian, European
Price: $-$$

The Burnhamthorpe Fruit Market, off of the (Polish) Wisła Plaza at Burnhamthorpe & Dixie Rds. is really more of a giant deli than a fruit market with its, mostly, Italian goods along with some Polish and Balkan products as well. Fruit market or deli, they've still got a pretty impressive bakery section with breads and buns coming from a couple of bakeries and baked goods from some Polish bakery, imported Italian cookies (sold by weight, which can get expensive (two costed around $1.70), but the peach ones are really good ^^;;) and some home-baked goodies like pies, pound cakes, etc.

One of their signature baked goods is their banana bread ($3.99) which, as the sign says, "you'll go bananas for" and which my mom buys every time she has the (not so often -- we don't close all that close to it) opportunity of going to the plaza, because it's the best in the area, that's for sure: super moist, spiced cake topped with large chunks of walnuts. I guess it's a big hit with everyone, since there never seems to be any left (along with the free samples ;D).

Lately, there seems to also be "homemade apple cake" ($1.69, per slice) available, which totally excited me, because I LOVE apple cake and when you want to buy it at a Polish deli, it usually -- because of its weight -- ends up costing more than the cheesecake. The past two times I've been there, the cake's been different, but I suspect it's baked by the same person. It tastes very Polish and just... tastes something your grandma would make, it tastes that *homemade*. Yummy!!!!! *__* I loved it (just so you know, I love what I call "grandma baking"; it doesn't even matter whose grandma it is, it's usually good. Lol)!! Perfectly chopped and spiced apple filling topped with crumble the first time around and sandwiched between two soft layers of sponge-like dough. I really can't say which I preferred, because they were both so good, but I think that if I had to choose, I'd say the one with the crumble (despite my horribly lit photos XDDDDD).

So, yeah, what can you take from today's post: though an... unexpected pick for baked goods, especially in the plaza, you always have to (okay, let's say "I always have to" to be a little more fair there ^^) step into the Fruit Market... and leave with a baked good~~ ;)

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment