Sweet Home Bakery


Bakery: Sweet Home Bakery
Address: 7930 Bowness Rd NW, Calgary AB
Style: Canadian
Price: $$

It's really hard to find a still intact, delightfully retro bakery like Sweet Home Bakery pretty much anywhere; add the signage for the additional effect and this place looks like it's been here forever. Which is actually a little weird because I grew up more or less one neighbourhood over from Bowness and I have no recollection of this bakery... 
Nonetheless, there was one other notable thing about this place besides its look. At long last, I found some poppy seed buns! Is it just me or was it especially hard to find some this time around? This was a classic German-style spiral ($2.65) with glaze on top. The dough, a little bit on the dry side, was slightly flaky on the outside and softer on the inside with a nice amount of poppy seed filling. 
I also grabbed some classic sugar-coated doughnut holes. These were nice and fresh with a golden brown exterior, though again, the texture of the dough was more on the airy side, giving it a stiffer, drier feel. I would have preferred a little softer dough, but they were pretty good. 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment